Monday, June 29, 2015

SS Jeremiah O'Brien - Memorial Day Cruise

The  SS Jeremiah O'Brien National Liberty Ship is stationed in San Francisco.  Once a year, they take the ship out for a cruise around Memorial Day, and this year the Pyro Division Sea Cadets were invited on board to serve the ship's guests.  The three little Smith Cadets were asked to be the captain's runners - they were basically at his beck and call to "fetch" him things and keep him supplied with coffee and donuts.  Check out the website for the ship!  Did you know they could whip one of these liberty ships up in a week?!  Wow...

http://www.ssjeremiahobrien.org/

 This band was amazing - and there were couples swing dancing - it was so 1940's!  I loved it!


 Ma-lak at the top deck, keeping us on course

 Rea had to have her turn as well!

 Cute little tugboat with Alcatraz Island in the background.

 Going under the GG bridge


 I loved being along on this trip - I met so many interesting people and talked to strangers more than my dad!  I met men who served in the navy on ships just like this one.

 This is one of my favorite pictures of my little sailor.


 Rea in her summer dress uniform, with Cadet Cross-Kaplan, and Cadet Ni'ke Smith!
 One of the pety officers with Lt. Funkhouser




No comments: